Friday, July 13, 2007

Lemon Cucumbers!

I've been waiting IMPATIENTLY for my lemon cucumbers to be ready for harvest. IMPATIENTLY. I LOVE LOVE LOVE cucumbers of any variety and had never heard of lemon cukes before I found the seed pack this past winter. I've watched them grow with interest and impatience since it seems my bushmaster (pickle-esque) and burpless vining (long and skinny) cucumbers have been producing for weeks.

Here they are the vine just before harvest...I have a few more that will be ready tomorrow and the day after:















After harvest:
















They're in the fridge now, cooling off for munching this evening. This occasion may call for a new batch of salsa ;)

Speaking of salsa, in another 2 days I'll have more jalapenos than I can possibly eat. I need to buy several more bunches of cilantro (I have 3 in the fridge waiting) and cans of tomatoes (since my romas are still green.) I'll be making salsa and putting it up for later because I just have waaaay too many peppers growing. Nice problem to have after my worry a few weeks ago!

These are sweet yellow bells growing:














Last night I made fajita chicken with some of the sweet peppers I harvested this week. So far I have one bell almost ready but it's supposed to be red and is still green...I'm trying to be patient!

And then we have the interesting tomato dilemma. I found a baby tomato earlier today (did not photograph it) that had blossom end rot. Then this afternoon I found this one on a different plant. Seems perhaps I needed more water a couple weeks back (based on my reading this problem is either caused by drought or lack of calcium in the soil...I'm saying drought since I was complaining to my Mom about the zukes not growing and then after several days of heavy rain went out to discover an 18" zucchini the other day...I harvested it together with a 12" zuke and we made bread :)

No comments: