Thursday, June 28, 2007


Funny how I didn't realize that it has been 11 days since I updated my garden blog! Wow...I've eaten a couple of vining cukes already. Somehow I eat them before I remember to take their photos...so I thought today BEFORE I harvested I'd snap some photos to share :)

Above are the left and right beds. Growing like mad...the zuchini plants in the right bed are about as tall as my 5year old son. I'm still waiting on lemon cukes but have plenty of lemon cuke flowers going now so it shouldn't be too much longer. The bush cukes are coming in now...I've harvested 4 in 2 days with about 20 more soon to be ready. You can see how long the vining cukes are...they are a burpless hybrid (I dug out the tag from under the foilage today to find that info.) The bushmaster cukes are more of a pickling cuke (they look like pickles on the vine...Morgan got excited when he first saw them until I explained that dilling pickles was a long process...months long.)














My pumpkins are growing really well...vines spilling over the sides of the right bed now. I moved some watermelon plants over last week since the corner they are in gets too much shade and they aren't growing. I'm not sure if they'll make it or not. I'm hoping so.













Daniel, my 5yo, loves to help me in my garden. Today he was wearing his favorite silk cape and helping me harvest. He is most excited by the plethora of cucumbers I'm growing :) He also loves eating peas fresh from the vine, raw out of the pod. I hope gardening together will help the boys come to appreciate their food more and learn to enjoy more veggies. I can only hope...

Remember how concerned I was about my tomatoes and peppers? Two days ago I harvested our first sweet pepper and today I found the first Roma tomato of the season!


The long awaited jalapeno peppers growing! I also have a few mexibells, yellow and red sweet bells and more sweet peppers growing. I may have too many peppers pretty soon...thank goodness they cook up fast and freeze well ;)














The zukes are trying to grow. So far I've had a couple small ones rot on the vine. I'm not really sure why...but this is about as big as they get. Then the flower drops off and the fruit rots rather than getting bigger. Are they not getting fertilized? I've got plenty growing in there...





The peas are about done. They've grown all the way up my trellis (so pretty!) and are barely producing anything now. I got enough peas from the many plants I grew to have a couple handfuls of off-the-vine snacking...beans on the other hand have been much more productive. Every day I go out there and grab a bowlful more. I'll be starting some more soon of each for fall...





My cilantro bolted and is flowering. It's pretty! I realize I can't eat it now and that's ok. The peppers weren't ready when it was so no big deal. I love the tiny flowers !













My harvest today...I'm including the sweet pepper from 2 days ago but today I got 4 bushmaster cukes, one burpless hybrid, a bunch of beans and a couple pea pods.









.

1 comment:

Val in the Rose Garden said...

LOOK AT THAT GROW! Omg... that is so wonderful! Great job! It looks beautiful!

Val