Sunday, June 3, 2007

Mutant coreopsis? The front gardens...

I apparently have mutant coreopsis plants. One is almost 7' tall! I planted 2 when we bought the house just over 2 years ago. The first year they barely bloomed...pretty unexciting. About 8" of scruffy, ferny foilage and little solid yellow flowers. They were supposed to be about 18" tall at mature height...

Second year I split one to share with a friend. Killed that one...doh. So I split the remaining one and planted it in the place of the one I divided/killed...they were really unexciting last year too. Maybe 12" of scruffy, ferny foilage and maybe a couple flowers.

This year? I've got one that is nearly 7' tall. I had to cut one down because it fell over (this was the end of May so it may well come back again.)

Interestingly I also discovered that I had one growing in the front of my bed...I'd only planted them on either side of my front bed...none in front. Somehow it propagated itself and grew a new plant SIX feet from the nearest relative! I moved that one today because it was over 5' tall and way out of place up front.

The flowers this year are different...yellow with brown centers.




Here is my oldest son, who comes up to my mouth & I am 5'4", as comparison for the tallest plant.







For giggles, here is my main front bed:
















Around the mailbox (still need to sink the edgers and I am waiting for Round-up to help with the crabgrass that managed to edge around my fabric):















To the right of the front door if you are looking at the house (there are yarrow, salvia, day lillies, calla lillies and lirope over there...the callas are not blooming yet):

No comments: