Thursday, June 7, 2007

We have a FEMALE cucumber flower...and the eggplant has finally died.

After several days of watching the cucumber plant that I bought flower like mad...I have FINALLY seen the difference between a male and female cucumber flower! Today my first female cucumber flower opened!!! It's very obviously different than the other flowers with a baby cucumber behind the blossom.






























I gave up on the eggplant. It was nearly dead anyways so I just removed it from the garden. Oh well. I guess I'll stick to Provino's if I want to eat eggplant this year ;)
















The peas have flowered now! This is exciting...my garden is starting to produce! It's getting so big (and I know this is still just the beginning!) The zucchini plants *may* have blooms starting, we'll see soon enough and it won't be long until all the cukes I sprouted will be ready to bloom (bushmaster and lemon.) I'm most excited about the lemon cukes...





































Since adding the epsom salts it seems the entire thing has just gone nuts. The pepper plants are deep green again, and they are growing like crazy (up.) Still blooming but not so much fruiting...I still see baby peppers on there but they aren't doing much. I'll have to read some more about that...I may need to pollinate them (I hand pollinated my female cuke today with a paintbrush JIC.)














The beans are growing well too but don't seem to have runners that will grab my trellis. Maybe I accidentally planted all bush beans? LOL...that would not surprise me.


Left Bed:




















Right Bed:













A few days back I planted 2 varieties of pumpkins in the right bed, around the outer edge. I now have sprouted seedlings from every seed planted! We're going to have pumpkins!! Once they get leggy I'll lean them over the edge of the beds so they can grow on the grass,
towards the watermelon plants.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These photos are extremely helpful. I live in an upstairs condo and am growing my first cucumber indoors in liquid nutrient solution. It has lots and lots of male flowers but no female ones yet. Every morning I run to look, thinking surely today there will be one. Do you remember approximately how long it was from the time your plants started flowering before the female flowers appeared?