Tuesday, May 15, 2007

companion planting?

Does anyone have any suggestions about companion planting?

I'm considering planting some sunflowers in with my veggies. I am also thinking of moving some things from the left to the right bed, since my greens (salad/spinach) are wilty and not growing well. I knew that was a risk to planting so late...no big deal there.

The right bed is not quite as much full sun as the left though...so what to move? Not sure.

But...I'm thinking of adding sunflowers to help some things trellis up. I'll also be putting out some marigolds I sprouted in April and then sowing some more marigold seeds amongst the veggies to repel the bunnies and other pests.

Considering propagating some of my other herbs (sweet basil, chamomile, lemon balm?) to place in the veggies too...basil with the tomatoes for sure.

I'm also strongly considering rooting some lavender, wormwood and rosemary to plant around the garden (they are elsewhere in the yards.)

Ideas? Suggestions?

4 comments:

Val in the Rose Garden said...

Oh sister... I love companion planting. It is really the only way to do things. I don't even make rows at all anymore... My peas and radishes and violas are all together in one bed (scattered) and in the back there are sunflowers and borage, in the front there are two flat leaf parsley plants. That is one small bed. My tomatoes, basil, fennel, mums, pineapple sage, currents, strawberries, and more hearts ease violas are in the next bed over. They have a few volenteers that I have left for variety as well. Some cilantro and even a marigold.

It looks messy, but my plants are always happy. I haven't had anything die yet...

Oh and put your salad greens in the "less full sun" bed. Spinich, salad greens/lettuce, mints, oregano, lemon balm, cucumbers/squash, cilantro (I put my cilantro, spinich, and musclin mix all in the same bed scattered, and treat them all like cut and come again lettuce... they all come back and are perfectly happy being together)... they will all be happier there than sun lovers like annual herbs (basil, savory) or fruit like, tomatoes.

I love your garden blog, btw. :)

Val

Anonymous said...

Howdy,

I keep coming to this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]Lots of good information here traceysgeorgiagarden.blogspot.com. Frankly speaking we really do not pay attention towards our health. Let me present you with one fact here. Research indicates that about 60% of all USA grownups are either chubby or overweight[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Therefore if you're one of these people, you're not alone. In fact, most of us need to lose a few pounds once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now the question is how you are planning to have quick weight loss? You can easily lose with with little effort. Some improvement in of daily activity can help us in losing weight quickly.

About me: I am blogger of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also mentor who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under hard training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for fast weight loss.

Chris and his Sweet Basil said...

Basil with Tomatoes always comes up doesn't it? Seems to be the most popular combo for companion planting. I'd suggest, but I don't really know of others. I hear mints drive away insects so they might be good around.

Anonymous said...

Thanks to my father who shared with me regarding this website, this
website is in fact amazing.

Also visit my homepage ... african mango plus